View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
At least they had a promising, exciting young core of talent in 1999. This might be the most un-interesting Sox team since 1988.

There are a few bright spots (Chris Sale is definitely one), but the team is generally mediocre and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of minor league talent to look forward to in the near future.
I disagree with this. To me, this year feels a lot like 1999. I don't if I would call guys like Jim Parque, Mike Sirtoka, Mike Caruso, etc. all that exciting if I put my mind in my 1999 self. It isn't that much different than Santiago, Quintana, Nate Jones, Addison Reed et al that we have now. It only feels like it was a more exciting core because of what happened in 2000. I remember things being bleak as hell in the late '90's. Plus, Thomas appeared to be on a downward trajectory in the late '90's. 2000 was his triumphant comeback year.

To me, 2000 is an example of why it doesn't pay to forecast doom and gloom (or greatness) more than 1 or 2 seasons out. Too much can happen. Thomas had one of his best years in 2000, Cal frickin' Eldred had a first half worthy of a Cy Young, Wunch-Howry-Foulke were automatic in the pen, Baldwin had his best year, and the team won the division pretty easily. There's no reason it can't happen again. However, I would much rather not have to rely on being so lucky.

Sale and Peavy are better than any starting pitcher they had in the late '90's/early '00's.