View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I feel the same way. This was a 4W-3L road trip that included a west coast swing. It felt a bit worse then that since they ended it with two losses. If Santiago holds that 4-0 lead on Saturday, I think the mood around here would be better. There were few positives on this trip. Overall, the offense looked better. We were at least putting runners on base and giving ourselves a chance to score. We had multiple double digit hit games too and a week ago, that seemed impossible. The walking dead of Dunn and Keppinger had a productive road trip although I'm a bit concerned about Adam's back spasms messing up his hot streak. Gordon Beckham is likely to return in a few days which will solidify the defense again and will almost certainly be an improvement over what we've gotten from Keppinger. We'll just have to see what happens here. The Sox have a track record of climbing into divisonal races in June.
My feeling is the mood is bad around here just because the losses have been so damn ugly. The two games Santiago started on this trip were absolutely brutal to watch. Horrendous defense and terrible pitching from both Hector and all those who relieved him in those two games. Then, of course, Peavy pretty much beat himself with walks yesterday.

I think the Sox can still make this interesting, but I understand why people feel otherwise. Despite the fact that they have a similar record to this same time last year, I think there is a general feeling the team looks worse this year. Losses last season seemed to mostly be the result of not hitting. This year, we've seen each component of the team break down at various times, and that makes it a little more difficult to have much optimism.

But, the warm-weather months are typically kinder to the Sox than April or May. USCF plays small in June and July, and this team is built for that. We'll see if that leads to a hot streak again this year.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/