View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You blame pitching for 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 losses, consistently. Please, spread blame around where blame is due.
I don't think I have ever blamed the pitching for losing 1-0 any more than I blamed the Angels offense for being shut out twice in less than a week in the games started by Sale. But if the Sox are winning in the eighth or ninth, and they lose 2-1 or 3-2, the pitching is just as much to blame as if they lost 10-9 after leading in the eighth or ninth inning.

If you are blaming the offense for losing a game in which the starting pitcher walks in two runs after giving up two runs in the previous inning, you are missing the point. A strong, winning season is about pitching a defense. That's the way it was for the White Sox in the 1950s and most of the 1960s. Pitching and defense ultimately was why the 2005 White Sox finished with the league's best record and went 11-1 in the postseason. Fans, particularly in Chicago, prefer strong offense to teams built around pitching. By the end of 1967, Chicago had lost interest in the White Sox because they had no offense while the Cubs did. But if you add 25 points to their team batting average, 25 home runs and 100 runs, you get the 1970 Chicago White Sox. Only three teams had a higher team batting average, and two of those teams won their divisions.

Cleveland is in first place because they are getting great pitching while getting great hitting. Texas is in first place because they have been getting great pitching, although I see it didn't happen tonight. Take away the White Sox late inning bullpen meltdowns and defensive meltdowns and their defensive-meltdown-enhanced-bullpen meltdowns, and they are ahead of the Tigers, who are scoring more than any team in the league. But when is the last time you've seen a team lose with the No. 3 hitter hitting three homers and driving in five while the cleanup hitter was driving in three. The Rangers score some runs, too, but the White Sox won two out of three in Arlington at the beginning of this road-intensive stretch despite not matching up offensively.

It starts with pitching and defense. If you don't get that, you're going to need a lot of offense. And teams that need a whole lot of offense generally don't leave fans with much more than memories of how much fun it was in July.