View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I think he made some good points. The Sox are now the 5th team in Chicago, no one cares. I've been a member of WSI since 2006 and the low interest rate here at WSI must be at an all time low.
I'm also thinking JR is getting old and has lost his zeal for running the franchise, he has been fighting a losing battle for the hearts and minds of the Chicago baseball fan for over 30 years and last year might have really hurt when your team could not even draw 2 million while being in first place for 100 days and the other team who was one of the worst teams in MLB out drew you by 800,000 fans.
If JR was hurt or surprised at the turnout last season after several years of disappointment (capped off with the utterly disappointing and disgusting 2011) and coming off an offseason where the Sox didn't give anyone the impression they were planning to compete in 2012, then he's out of touch with reality. I'd be shocked if a smart businessman like him doesn't realize that 3 good months after 3 disappointing seasons isn't going to erase the downward trend in ticket sales.

If he really thinks the way to win over Chicago is to field a team that is good enough to be in 1st place for only part of the season only to falter (AGAIN) at the end, then maybe the Sox really do need new ownership.

It's been a losing battle for the last 30 years indeed, but JR has been the man in charge all those years and IMO he's the one responsible for losing that battle.