View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
It's going on three years of some of the worst futility in the history of baseball. I'm not overly excited about the first two months of last year. This is not just a little slump. This is unprecedented. I also think it's dragging the rest of the team down. I hope he rebounds enough so you can throw this back at me some day.
There are two major differences between Dunn and free-agent nightmare Jaime Navarro. Well, three if you consider that Navarro was a jerk. Navarro, though, only affected/usually hurt the team every fifth day. Navarro also was thought of highly enough for someone to be traded for a couple of important pieces to a pretty good 2000 White Sox team that led the American League in wins.

There didn't seem to be anyone willing to give Dunn the sort of money the White Sox gave him before his futility. With Dunn, I always believed people were looking at the wrong numbers in the National League records. There is a belief among many that batting average isn't important, that it's on-base percentage you need to look at and strikeouts aren't anything to worry about because they aren't any different than popping out to short.

There are others, and I am among them, who believe that low batting averages, regardless of on-base percentages combined with high strikeout rates are harbingers of bad offensive futures because strikeouts -- not the Babe Ruth or Reggie Jackson or Mickey Mantle numbers that used to be considered high, but the unprecedented Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn numbers of recent years, reflect a vulnerability that can be exploited. (The high number of strikeouts in the White Sox lineup now is especially frustrating, but I digress.) I saw it with Jack Cust, who is less than a year older than Dunn but seems done, not having been in the majors since 2011. I saw it with Nick Swisher when he was finished with the A's, and he reached bottom with the White Sox before changing his approach with the Yankees.

When the White Sox signed Dunn, there were a few that believed he could develop into a strong hitter for average. Your RBI men need to hit for a high batting average. They are the ones who come up most with runners in scoring position, which is when you want high batting averages. If Dunn has made adjustments to American League pitchers, it isn't producing positive results. It isn't a slump. Pitchers have a very good idea of how to get him out and are generally successful.

I would like to see Adam Dunn be a good, strong hitter the way many believed he could, become a different sort of hitter than he has been in the past, but one he has the skills to be. I would like him to recognize how pitchers are getting out and respond the way an opponent in chess or fencing would counter an opponent's move. If he does that, there are teams that would be willing to trade for him. But that also would be the Adam Dunn the White Sox would want to keep.