View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
IIRC correctly Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain all came out of the Yankees farm system. I realize not all are close to recent. 4 of the top 75 prospects according to MLB.com are in the Yankees farm system. I don't have time to look up all MLB players who were originally signed by the Yankees, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say their farm system has been say just a little more productive than ours.
Using Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Rivera to argue the Yankees have been good at developing players in 2013 is as silly as me saying the Sox are doing fine because they developed the Big Hurt, Ventura, McDowell, Alex Fernandez!!!

Yes, the Yankees have been a bit better than the Sox at developing their own in that they have 1 good player come out of their farm system in the past 20 years, but this idea that they have some kind of magic Talent Pipeline is silly. The Yankees don't build from within, for as long as I can remember they've won because money is no object to them. You don't have to have a good farm system when you're willing to absorb any deal or outbid anybody for even marginal player's services.

Also, they cheat.