View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
TDog raises an interesting observation that confirms the essence of Lip's concern.

Last year, when injuries led the Yankees to start Wise in the OF, they managed to acquire Ichiro.

Not only were they willing to pick up the salary, but they also were willing to trade from their pool of prospects, which always seems to have a pipeline of talent.

Last year, when Danks went down, the Sox made an aggressive move to acquire Liriano. But the loss of Escobar hurts because we don't have a plethora of prospects in the pipeline.

Injuries happen. They happen to the Sox less than other teams. But the Sox don't have much good organizational depth to fill holes, or to trade to fill holes.

I get that the Yankees can spend more on their payroll. But why can't the Sox minor league system be more productive than it is?
Honestly, I don't think this post could be any less correct if you tried...

A. The Yankees do not have a "pipeline of talent." They've had one star player come out of their farm system in the last 15-20 years; Cano. Otherwise their track record of player development rivals the Sox's for mediocrity.

B. They "were able to" acquire Ichiro because the M's gave him away for nothing because Ichiro in 2012 and 2013 is a ****ing awful baseball player. Seriously, the two guys NYY gave up for him are 2 mid-20s pitchers who have thrown a combined (get ready for it) 6.2 innings in their MLB careers. ****, they've already released one.

C. The Sox made the exact same move last year, as well, acquiring Youkilis to fill their hole at 3B and traded away two garbage players to do it.

D. We all know why the Sox minor league system isn't productive, the team has never focused investing in the Draft or Latin American operations. It is what it is. I don't like it either but I don't need to be all "woe is me," about it every time every little thing goes wrong.

E. Don't bother comparing anyone else to the Yankees. They live on a different planet than us mortals. That's just the way it is.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck