View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Doub's point still holds true. Hell, there is 30 year gap in the examples you just mentioned between Melton falling (thought it was his roof) and Crede's back. The Sox have been a healthy franchise since Herm arrived.
And people forget to mention promising outfield prospect Herman Hill dying in a boating accident, pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews dying in another boating accident, superstar Lyman Bostock being shot to death on the streets of Gary, Indiana, after a game at old Comiskey, Bo Jackson diminishing his baseball career by insisting on playing football in the offseason, catcher Thurman Munson dying in a plane crash, former Rookie of the Year Ken Hubbs dying in a plane crash, and pitcher Darryl Kyle being found dead in a Chicago hotel room before a game, and those are just off the top of my head and don't include the stories about players injured after being dreaming they were being attacked by spiders or defrosting meat. Of course, none of those examples were playing for the White Sox.

Stuff happens. It happens to every team. It happens to other teams more often than it does to the White Sox. The traumatic injuries to Monty Stratton and Carlos May were decades apart, not part of a pattern for a cursed franchise. And the White Sox aren't the only franchise with a history of third basemen with back problems. The Yankees last year were so banged up that Dewayne Wise was starting for baseball's golden franchise before the Yankees traded for Ichiro Suzuki, and the Yankees aren't any healthier so far this year.

It's not going to bother me if Peavy can't start a game because of back spasms. It wasn't an arm injury. It might have been if he had pitched. Dizzy Dean said he hurt his arm after coming back too soon from being hit in the toe with a line drive, changing his motion to compensate.

And tonight Santiago was OK in replacing Peavy.

Frankly, I am surprised at the overreaction.