View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Nell:

You missed some:

Sherm Lollar in 57 (broken hand) which Billy Pierce told me probably cost the Sox the pennant.

Dick Donovan's appendectimy (sorry about the spelling) when he was leading the league in wins and ERA probably cost the Sox the pennant in 55. They were in first place at the time in late July. He was lost for six weeks, came back and was ineffective.

Joe Cunningham's freak injury in Los Angeles (broken collarbone) with the Sox in first place in June 63. He missed over a month Tommy McCraw wasn't the answer. And Johnny Buzhardt, off to a 9-2 start with a mid 2's ERA lost for the last half of the year (shoulder issues). Those two probably cost the Sox a pennant in 63.
Bill Melton falling off his roof in the winter of 71 (herniated disc), he went on the DL for the season in late June 72. The A.L. home run champ wasn't around to hit behind Allen and May. Chuck Tanner told me if Melton is healthy the Sox win the division in 72 and Oakland's dynasty never happens.

Then you've got Dick's freak injury in Anaheim in June 73 although that was just one of 38 times the Sox used the DL. He was lost for the year. Coupled with the mass of injuries and G.M. Stu Holcolmb's stupidity (release guys who were playing out their contracts, not taking the Sox offer) that doomed the club after a brilliant first two months.

That's why I say "typical" White Sox luck.

Lip
I said I probably missed a few but I did have Melton on my list.