View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
This and That:

Dump, personally I don't care for EE myself but as you suggest his ideas were brilliant especially connected with the TV aspect. SportsVision was ahead of its time but failed because of the economy, the newness of the idea and because as you said Chicago was the wrong market (two team town) to try it.

EE was part of the effort to move to Florida in large part because of the TV revenue that would have been generated by such a move. According to Helyar in his book, "The Lords of the Realm," the Sox without selling a single ticket had they moved to Florida would have been the second most profitable team in MLB just because of the TV deal they could have had. Again as a Sox fan, I hated that idea but I have to give EE credit, he knew TV money was going to drive the sport and as history has shown it is, just ask the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Rangers and Dodgers.

King, as I talked about in my two part history of the Sox and the media since the 1950's, being in first place for three months after a losing season the year before and without even having back to back winning seasons since 05-06 is not the way to get skeptical fans to come out. Winning means, as other have said, a legit contender for the playoffs, not only by winning a crappy diivsion with 85 wins or so, but a legit contender for the pennant. And having that opinion for a few years in a row.

Brian, he did and then for some reason he stopped the approach. Don't know why as the fans loved the two campaigns (us vs. them, grinder rules). Was it his call or was he overruled by someone higher up in the organization?

Lip
Amen.

After 25 years of moves that shrunk this team's fan base (moving to premium pay TV, bad initial design of "New Comiskey", the white flag trade), the Sox finally got the huge shot in the arm they needed with the 2005 WS win.

The problem is they didn't sustain that success. I don't think it would have necessarily have required another WS, but no back to back winning seasons since in the last six years and no back to back post season appearances ever is not good enough. Look at the Angels - they still have their one and only WS win in 2002, but they have been legitimate playoff contenders most years since then.

Like you said, you can't just get hot for 3 months after an awful year and expect to suddenly have a packed house. I know the Sox fan bashers on this site like to think otherwise, but they're just ignoring reality.

As far as the "game experience" topic goes, I loved that "pirates of the Caribbean" intro video, but it really says something when fans feel like that's one of the highlights of going to the game. The Sox, in their survey obsession, should be hearing this from the fans that they should be ashamed of themselves that the product on the field has been so uninspiring over the last 5 years that fans are so passionate about the freaking intro video.

.....that being said, the fact that they felt like they had to mess with the popular intro video really says something about the problems with the Sox marketing department.