View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 03:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wells is OK and I see no problem giving him a chance right now. It's not like the 2013 Sox are exactly the 1962 Giants with an outfield of Harvey Kuenn, Willie Mays and Felipe Alou with Willie McCovey coming off the bench to play LF and 1B as well as the other Alou brothers, Matty and Jesus.

With the Tank injured and De Aza struggling, the Sox have Alex Rios as a productive outfielder and that's about it. I don;t see any downside in playing Wells, particularly against lefties.

But this transaction is a minor one. That may not stop Phil Rogers from complaining about it after the fact if it doesn't work out. In this article, for example, he bemoans the Francisco Liriano trade last year. Really? The Sox are in first place in late August and early September and this guy has a problem with the club adding some pitching depth. Eduardo Escobar is a back up infielder and Pedro Hernandez is a starting pitcher who doesn't strike anybody out. Look at his stats this year. He is averaging 4.1 K's per 9 innings. A starter in the big leagues cannot last very long with that few K's, even if he is left handed.

Rogers does nit pick the Sox deals, even minor ones where they don't give up players who are really nothing more than reserves. Wasn't it Rogers who was convinced that John Ely was a star in the making?

I would like to see this guy nitpick some of the Cubs' bad deals. You remember those, like giving away Angel Pagan and Josh Hamilton for nothing.