View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I joined WSI in 2003. IIRC, "dark cloud" or "pants pissing dark cloud" began being used in 2005 to mock the people who were cynical despite the Sox remaining in first place throughout the year. The "dark clouds" were out in force in August and September 2005, when the Sox were playing .500, the Indians were playing .900, and the lead shrunk from 15 games to 1.5 games.

IMHO, the proper context to call someone a "dark cloud" is if/when he/she is crapping all over a first place club, or one that has a winning record and is within striking distance of first place.

Expressing cynicism during a losing season is entirely appropriate. Just don't overdo it.
I didn't even mind the dark clouds in '05, dropping a 15 game lead in September is cause for some cynicism. I just remember the WSI from '01-'03, lots of smart, balanced, insightful debate. Then the "prospect experts" starting showing up, these guys who supposedly knew everything about every Sox prospect - things just started to decline from there, and you entered the era where everyone who posted anything on the Internet was all of a sudden a genius or expert, and message boards just started losing their luster IMO.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season