View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 11:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
No doubt about that. It will get worse. When you go into the season with Wise, and his .095 good-clubhouse-chemistry batting average (he should just be released) as your top bench bat, you've given yourself zero room for error.
An impotent farm system, caused mainly by poor drafting and development, is the main culprit. But poor trades (in giving away prospects and in trading for prospects) haven't helped either.
Tragg:

What I can't figure out is this. I've spoken to Rick a few times and he comes across as a sharp guy, intelligence-wise and baseball-wise.

He's got to know his bench was woefully inadaquate, yet he did nothing about it, not even taking a sniff at guys who were released with major league experience. As you said he was rolling the dice from an injury standpoint and he's come up snake eyes.

As smart as he is, that doesn't make sense, there's got to be more to the story here. I just can't figure out what it could be unless he was told to do some things (or not do some things) by those above him.

Lip