View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Thats cool if you want the Sox to be this comedic, dorky sideshow of a team. For me, I would like to see the market of fans grow, and Hawk is not helping that. Hawk Harrelson can make it embarrassing to be a Sox fan. It is time for him to hang it up.
He's not hurting it, either, despite your embarrassment. I can tell you that at least among the baseball fans I know here in DC that they think of Hawk as nothing more than an amusing old timer. In fact, the worst thing said about him is that he is a blatant homer, but that is also said about many other announcers. I truly don't get the "we should be ashamed" reaction to this. So he doesn't like advanced metrics, so what? He is certainly not the only one working in baseball today with that viewpoint. By the way, I was at the Nats game last night sitting among people who know me as a Sox fan from having attended several previous games. No one mentioned it to me, and believe me, they would have if they thought they could give me a hard time about it.

I have no doubt that the number of people who equate his opinion with somehow undermining Rick Hahn could comfortably fit in an elevator. I am even more certain that Hahn would not be among the group standing in that elevator. In fact, if Hahn did publicly state, for some bizarre reason, that Hawk's comments undermined his ability as GM, I would be embarrassed... about the notion that our GM could allow such meaningless comments from Hawk to affect him at all.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell