View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think for starters at least ERA is a pretty reliable stat. Ultimately EVERY stat provides just a snap shot, but I am hard pressed to think of a starter who posted a good ERA that wasn't actually that good.
Like any stat, sometimes a starter's ERA can be misleading. I've seen some starters who give up a lot of unearned runs because they have a great deal of difficulty pitching over mistakes. In 2008, it seemed Gavin Floyd gave up an excessive number of unearned runs, really many more than you could blame on the defense. Sometimes it's a dropped two-out fly, but even unearned runs aren't created equal. I once saw the Cubs score 10 unearned runs in an inning after a two-out error that loaded the bases in a still scoreless first inning. And sometimes pitchers stay in the game longer than they should to save an otherwise overworked staff. There is something to be said for a pitcher who eats innings, even if he gives up a few more runs by doing so.

ERAs meant more when starters regularly pitched complete games. Now multimplying earned runs allowed per inning by nine feels a little arbritray. Still, I don't know if I've seen a starter with a great ERA who wasn't a very effective pitcher.