View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Ah, bummer, you got me. Well, in my defense, Rendon is a legitimate blue chip prospect. If he were in our organization, he'd have all the hype Beckham did (Savior of the franchise). In Washington, he's maybe the 5th or 6th best young player on their team.

You also forgot Wilson Ramos, good young catcher as well.

And dang, I went with my gut and assumed guys like Gio and Zimmermann and Detweiler were still around the 25-year mark. I was off by two years. YA GOT ME! Can I amend my statements and say they have the best collection of under-30 talent assembled, easily in my lifetime (approximately 30 years?) Will that work?

Either way, if you'd like to point and laugh and say HA HA, this guy thought a guy whose really 26 was 25, then I think it still basically underscores my point that if Hawk and his ilk are going to whine about the approach the Nationals are taking; coming off a 95-win season and still have one of the youngest rosters in the Majors (average position player age is 27.9, 2nd youngest in NL, average pitcher age is 28, essentially tied for 3rd youngest in NL) because they're firing his buddies and actually producing results on the field, then it only further demonstrates that Hawk is nothing but a senile old coot who is only still employed in baseball in any capacity because he was lucky enough to find an owner who runs his team either like a charity and not a real business, or he's too cheap to actually get someone that knows what the hell they're doing.

Hawk sucks. I can't imagine why any Sox fan would want to subject themselves to more of his idiocy than the team already shoves down our throats.
All of the Nats' blue chippers, whether with the big club or in the minors, are the kinds of talents that could have been identified without being well-versed in advanced metrics. Though I've ridiculed blind adherence to sabrmetrics (Keith Law, that means you), I recognize that they generally have been helpful in identifying talent and player tendencies that might have otherwise gone unnoticed. But elite talent does not fall in that category. On the contrary, I think over-reliance on advance metrics leads some people to overlook the obvious, if anything.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell