View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Not defending or disagreeing with Hawk's position per se but one of his points that I think has been overlooked in the furor over his comments has been the human element.

One of Hawk's positions is that good baseball people are being let go because some organizations feel a computer can do a better job of talent evaluation than a human being.

And there is some truth to that, Washington let a number of people go for example, including former Sox pitcher Bart Johnson as they invested more heavily on the numbers approach to things.

Read the story on the Mariners this week in S.I. and the supposed boatload of youg talent they have and was impressed with their G.M.'s comments on all this.

"You sit in a room with all your scouting people, you let them know how important they are, that they really are the lifeblood of what we're trying to do."

I think to as good extent this is what Hawk is upset about.

Lip
I agree with this. I will be the first one to tell you can't go by in life by just using numbers. You need common sense as well. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for numbers, it just can't be solely relied on. I've expressed this at my current and past jobs, and my stats are usually the highest or near the top every time. Of course, it hasn't gotten me anymore, but that's another thread.

The problem is, guys like Hawk and other old timers completely dismiss it completely. Computers are a way of life and not just for advanced users anymore. Yes, they are replacing jobs of people, but that's been the case for over 15 years now. It's not going to change.

"I hate computers. They are ruining the country." -Al Bundy, 1989