View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
It doesn't. I just think it's silly to go to a baseball game to do things other than watching the game.
And most people on this board agree with you. That's why we go to baseball games after all, but for many people it's about having fun with their kids or friends and rooting for (insert city's name here) team or visiting a ballpark in a new city while on vacation or chilling with friends before an evening out or trying to meet people or any number of other reasons. Heck, there's a reason the fireworks' games are normally closer to sold out - because people take their kids to the game to enjoy the show afterwards.

Baseball is simply entertainment. How people are entertained comes in any number of flavors. If they want to get that flavor at UCSF and that flavor has little to do with the actual play by play or pitch by pitch aspect of watching a baseball game, if the occasional home run and a win is enough for them, that's fine by me.

Like the song says:

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks,
I don't care if I never get back
Cuz it's root root root for the home team
if they don't win it's a shame

Baseball has long been about culture to America. The actual outcomes aren't that important to many people and with 162 games a year if the outcome didn't go your way today, odds are it will tomorrow. Even the worst team in baseball will get 60 opportunities to send their customers home happy every single year.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...