View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
the main reason to go to a baseball game is to watch baseball. People can have fun getting drunk and exposing themselves within the confines of their backyards. There's no reason to spend money to do so at a baseball game.
I think this is a bit ridiculous. People go to *many* events to drink and have fun. Street fests, bars, concerts (where sometimes music is even secondary) and, I hate to say, sporting events. You can drink in your backyard, but that is not exactly the entertainment of choice for most people. The point of a sporting event is, first and foremost, entertainment. The number of people who spend the majority of the game not watching the game is probably a lot higher than we all think. This is *especially* true at ballparks, which allow fans to walk around and still kinda see the action (i.e. don't have to walk underneath as it many football stadiums and practically all hockey/basketball events). In addition, I am sure, if you have ever walked the Cell concourse, you can see tons of people decked out in Sox gear with their backs to the field chatting in groups and slugging down beers.

Sox fans love to be the "if you're not interested in the outcome of the game, get the hell out of here" types (see 2006 attendance spike), but it hurts the fanbase.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."