View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
Voodoo - Great to hear from you. I think we're on the same page.

I'm not a marketing whiz myself, but I do think they need to stop marketing every game as a battle, every season as a war, and each player as a warrior.

I agree the White Sox are in a big hole, but a bit of it is their own making. Obviously the Cubs have a big advantage, but instead of trying to differentiate themselves, they flirted with going head-on against them. Sponsors (WLUP years ago and the Southtown as well) started running direct confrontational ads involving the Cubs and White Sox (and believe me I posted against those when they were taking place). It made the White Sox organization look small, and I don't think it paid any dividends over the long haul.

White Sox fans know they have a great stadium, an entertaining team and certainly a fan base large enough to support the franchise. Capitalize on those elements, and stop making it a win/loss or life/death situation.

It's baseball, and it's a good time win or lose - that's the message which needs to get out there.

I do agree 100% with you on the dead zone around the park. You're not going to have a Wrigleyville-type of development due to the fact that the neighborhood doesn't consist of high density population which keeps those places going during away games and the off season, but I would have thought by now you'd see destination locations (restaurants and such) popping up in the general vicinity of the park.
I think a lot of this sentiment is the fault of the fan base for having reactionary Cub envy. We've always had the attitude that winning trumps all. "Yeah, you may have fun drinking all day in the sun and looking at hot chicks, but you suck. Winning is everything. We refuse to have fun unless we're winning. You know nothing about baseball." I don't know that this can ever change or if it even should.

I do agree with getting rid of Hawk, but its not for his baseball knowledge. He's a polarizing, grumpy, often mean spirited, *******. You can't have a guy like that be the face of the franchise.

I really don't have any of the answers, but identifying the problems is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).