Thread: 42
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Honestly if you read a few books on the Negro Leagues instead of watching a movie geared towards kids you will learn a little more on how alot of the old black players felt. I don't mean to say Robinson was hated by players in the Negro Leagues because he was viewed as a hero in alot of ways but alot of players did feel slighted by him. It's pretty well known about his clashes with Campanella and Newcombe and even if you watch interviews by Satchel Paige, Cool Papa Bell or Buck O'Neil they give him respect but they always made a point of saying that there were others who were better players.

There's actually a movie that gives a little insight to how Robinson was viewed. It wasn't the best movie but it's called "Soul of the Game" I read alot of baseball books and I found it interesting how Robinson was viewed by alot of black players in the old Negro Leagues.

I'm not trying to bash Robinson in a backhanded way either but after reading more and more about the Nero Leagues I kinda feel bad for the forgotten players.
I know what you mean- the musuem is great- but relatively new and unless someone visit KC- not a huge impact.

Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, Cool Papa Bell- all should be as well known as Jackie- and as well known as Mickey Cochrane, Cy Young and Ty Cobb-
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11