Thread: 42
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Decent movie and it's alot better than the Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb movie but like both of those Hollywood went a little to far with being to dramatic. Then again I suppose you have to so they can sell the movie.
I haven't seen it, hoping to see it soon. But the criticism I've heard from more than one source is that the movie wasn't as dramatic as the reality. Even The Sporting news came out editorially against Jackie Robinson.

If it was overdramatized, it was done so for reasons different thatn other sports movies because the intent was to drive home the contribution that Jackie Robinson and a few others made to America. which really cam't be exaggerated. Robinson's 10-year career, at least the initial years of it, probably took at least 10 years off his life.

I woudl hope it's a darn good movie, because the story is importnat enough that it nees to be. When I was in college in the mid-1970s, I gave a speech about racial prejudice in major league baseball. The graduate assisting who graded it found it hard to believe that baseball was all white before 1947. There are baseball fans today who don't understand why No. 42 is on the wall of all the major league ballparks.