View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
So far, so good for Gillaspie.

I believed Gillaspie could get off to a solid start if the Sox put him in the lineup every day and was a bit disappointed when the Sox looked at him as a good bat off the bench. Now theat he is taking advantage of his opportunity to play, whether Gillaspie will continue to hit so well when pitchers adjust to him will be a key to his season. I liked Gillaspie's potential when he was playing for Fresno.

Gillaspie is hitting the way many expected Keppinger to hit, strangely enough. And, really, I'm not so sure if the losing streak coinciding with Beckham's injury is totally coincidental. I liked the way Beckham was handling the bat early this season, and I think his defense is important to the Sox.

Not only was this the first time the Sox won since Beckham had to come out against the Nationals, but it was the first road win for the Sox this year. If the Sox are going to be a team that has trouble winning on the road while playing pretty well at home, maybe it's a good thing Major League Baseball conspired to screw the White Sox by giving them a home-heavy April schedule.

Strangely enough, the baseball guy on the Giants flagship radio station Saturday afternoon was saying that this was too early for the Cubs to be playing at home, and baseball needs to use more sense in its schedule. But I digress.

Today's win should have been Friday night's win when the Sox got a better starting pitching effort and had the go-ahead run at second in the ninth with no one out. Today the Indians went 27 outs without scoring after the leadoff homer, with Reed once again shutting it down in the ninth. I would have liked to have seen Reed pitching the ninth with a lead Friday night. It isn't just a matter of not hitting with runners in scoring position. It's a matter of situational hitting which hasn't been there.

I am looking for better baseball when the Sox get back home.