View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
On the White Sox postgame show the other night Chris Rongey said Paul Konerko does not belong in the Baseball Hall Of Fame but Ron Santo does. I immediately called the postgame show to comment on that subject. The station would not let me on the air talking about it. So I will make my comments here. First of all the Pizza Man/ Scab/ Santo has no business being in the Hall Of Fame but the fact is, he got inducted last year. So be it. But if you look at the offensive statistics of both players, Konerko beats Santo in virtually every category. Batting Average, Home Runs, Hits, RBI's and every other statistic. Konerko also played on 3 Playoff Teams, one pennant winning team and one World Championship team. Santo never played in the Playoffs once. Rongey is entitled to his opinions,( after all he's the host of the show), but when he makes comments saying Santo should be in the HOF and Konerko doesn't, perhaps he should look for a job on WGN Radio.
Santo did not have a HOF career, but two things:

1) Position strength is a factor. Santo is higher on the 3rd baseman list than Paulie is on the 1st baseman list, though Paulie has been the better overall player. I suspect Rongey made that point;

2) How often an individual player's teams make the playoffs should have no bearing on HOF selection. Otherwise, you end up with Phil Rizzuto in the Hall and Minnie Minoso not.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell