View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Oh, bull****, he's asked a question and he answered it truthfully. Imagine what a world we live in where people are scolded for displaying candor with the press instead of the usual half-assed, bull**** answers we're used to being fed.
Let me be absolutely clear. I don't have a problem with Konerko answering a question truthfully. My problem stems for his discussing it at all, given that no one not wearing a Padres or Dodgers uniform has spoken about it. I know that Quentin and Konerko were teammates, and I don't have a problem with Paul wanting to offer support for someone whom he may consider a friend. What I don't like, however, is that Konerko chose to provide extended commentary on a subject that had nothing to do with him.

If he had said, "I am sorry about what happened, as incidents like these are never good for the game of baseball. I don't agree with what Carlos did, but I understand why he did it. I played with him. He's my friend, and he has my support as a friend. The rest is my business," I wouldn't have an issue with this, but instead, he chose to provide his opinion without even pausing to consider whether doing so was warranted. Yes, someone put a microphone in front of him, but that doesn't mean it was appropriate for him to speak into it.

The media exist to write stories and sell a product, but anyone who believes that those people approach their jobs with anything resembling integrity is fooling themselves. How many sports reporters and writers have been permanently banished to the ****house because WSI staff members have decided that their material isn't worth paying attention to? What does that say about how much credibility the staff of this message board attaches to their work? Yet, it's okay for Paul Konerko to keep feeding the trolls because one of them decided to come out from under his bridge and pay Konerko a visit?

Konerko's been in hot water before- on this very site, no less- because he couldn't stop himself from running his mouth to the media. He answered questions on those topics honestly, too. That doesn't mean he was right in what he said, because most people agreed that he shouldn't have said anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
I don't even think you understand the definition of a "whore," anyway. What is Konerko's long term pay off here?
His pay-off is attention. The more he opens his mouth, the more likely it is that the media comes back to him for comments on other issues. The media are happy to talk to Konerko because he gives them material to write about, and as long as that doesn't change, they'll continue to use his a resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
Is he angling to land some kind of huge TV show deal when his playing days are over? Or is he just a guy who answers questions honestly when asked of him? What a douchebag!!!
I don't know if Konerko wants to be on TV after he's finished playing, but given that seemingly anyone who played Major League Baseball is allowed to work in television in some capacity when his career is over, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were offered a job. If complete idiots like Ed Farmer and Darren Jackson- who spends the majority of Sox radio broadcasts singing- can get a job, I'm sure there will be something available for Konerko. I'm also sure we won't have to wait long for him to throw one of his former teammates under the bus because he doesn't have enough self-control to keep his mouth shut.