View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Bobby Bonilla never played third for the White Sox. He played all three outfield positions and first base as the White Sox tried to work his bat into the lineup after claiming him in the Rule 5 Draft. Pittsburgh wanted him back so badly that they offered Jose DeLeon to get him back. I can't remember if Larry Himes had replaced Ken Harrelson, by the time the trade was made, but at the time, the White Sox made it out as stealing DeLeon from the Pirates.

I had forgotten that Eddie Willaims played third for the White Sox. I remember those as Tim Hulett years at third. Kenny Willamis was the opening day third baseman in 1988, hitting a home run and a double before he was replaced at third base by Steve Lyons in a game I listened to on the radio. The previous year, I had seen Eddie Williams playing third for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, and in 1988, I initially confused Eddie and Kenny.

Neither should be confused with Walt "No-Neck" Williams, although he played an inning at third base in 1971. When Bill Melton came off the field to a standing ovation after going out to play the bottom of the ninth on the last day of the season, having homered in his last at bat to win the AL home run title, Walt Williams replaced him. But Chet Lemon played more White Sox third base than Walt Williams. Even Chris Widger played more third base for the Sox than Walt Williams.

There is a reason Rich Lindberg titled one of his books about the White Sox "Who's on Third?"
I am a proud owner of that book!