View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
... Until they get the RISP thing figured out they're gonna lose close games. Especially on the road. ...
I don't think it's a matter of "figuring out" RISP hitting. it really isn't a coach can work with hitters to figure out. And sometimes the average is exaggerated. If you need to score a leadoff double, You can score him by going 0-for-2 with smart at bats or not score him going 0-for-3.

In some cases, the Sox have been hitting the ball well with runners in scoring position, which is what you're looking for. Last night, Ramirez lined out to Span in the first. De Aza had what looked like a couple of hits taken away with good defense during the homestand.

I haven't paid attention to other teams in this regard, but the Whtie Sox seem to be striking out too much with runners in scoring position, shich is something they could work on. Viciedo, especially, is striking out far more than he should. In Tuesday night's game, the Nats seemed to be pitcing around Konerko and didn't seem to find it necessary to throw Viciedo strikes to get him out, unconcerned if there were runners in scoring position. Complain about Wise, and I don't believe he is a Plan-A everyday player, but in his first plate appaerance this season, he got a hit with a runner in scoring position.

Last year the Sox led the league in hitting with runners in scoring position for much of the year. And they were very strong defensively. There are some players who can stand improvemeht and some situations of failure that are better remembered, but overall, I don't see those two aspects of their game completely turning around for this season.