View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think that's got a lot to do with it. I also think that players today prefer a baggier look to their jerseys, especially the pants. I know some of the old timers rag on that look, but the 1983 jerseys took it to an extreme. Look at how tight the pants on these guys are:

They may as well be painted on. For reference, here's how the ones the wore Sunday looked:

I know a lot of traditionalists don't like the long pants, but I'd say that the latter looks a lot more like a baseball uniform while the former looks like a track suit.

Also, not sure if this is true or not, but I'd also wager the current throwbacks are still made with modern fabric blends while the '83 jerseys were basically all polyester, right? I think that has a lot to do with it. The fabric in the top picture just has a dated, '80s look to it, much more than the bottom pic even though it's the same jersey design.

But yeah, the belt makes such a huge difference. I was very surprised on Sunday at how much I liked the way the throwbacks looked. They were great.
I grew up playing ball during that era and we wore the tight pants with the high side stirrups where you didn't see the top. Just a sign of the times I guess. Sort of glad that the players today wear their uniforms a little looser. Imagine the Big Donkey in those pants!

I personally would love to see the SOX wear 1920-ish replica uniforms where they actually wear white socks and would not be allowed to wear the long pants down to the shoes. I think those would be great for Sunday afternoon games! I think these would look good modernized with full button-down jerseys and maybe the SOX logo on the caps.