Thread: Rosemont Cubs?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I feel like the argument over last year's attendance has been beaten to death. You can't just look at that 100 or so days in a vacuum. After 3 previous seasons of disappointment which caused season ticket/advance sale erosion, they simply weren't going to flip that switch and pack the park every night with a 3 month run of success. Remember, we were coming off the awful 2011 Ozzie-quitting-on-his-team debacle at the start of last year plus KW was implicitly telling the fans last off season that the Sox weren't serious about competing in 2012 when they hired a manager with zero professional coaching experience for on-the-job training.

These points are constantly pointed out and yet we continue to beat the dead horse of last year's attendance over and over again.
Some people are never going to get it. 20,000 aren't just going to wake up and flock to the ballpark. If advanced ticket sales are very low, you aren't going to get a lot of people.

There was a game in early April on a Sunday a coupe of years ago. There was no lake breeze, either. 23K was the announced attendance. Sure, the nice day attracted SOME people (like myself and wife), but the park wasn't magically going to be full. In 2007, the Sox lost 90 games, but drew 2.7K. Those tickets were sold in advance. It's really not that hard to grasp. Since Sox tickets are so easy to get, I have no motivation to buy tickets in advance.