Thread: Rosemont Cubs?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I disagree with this statement. I think the complaint that the ballpark itself sucks and that its too much like a shopping mall hasn't been accurate since they successfully renovated the place starting 10 years ago. In 2006, after the World Series win, I don't remember people complaining about the ballpark.
Well, that is obviously for everyone's own taste to decide; the park is A LOT NICER since the renovations, of course, but it's ultimately still just a Modern Era ballpark pretending to be Retro Classic. There's only a handful of teams that play in ballparks of the same era and they've also either undergone massive renovations (Anaheim, Kansas City) or their teams are desperately trying to move out (Oakland, Tampa).

But I was referring to more of the whole ballpark experience in general. You park in a surface lot, walk across the asphalt, enter, leave, and drive out. I'm not saying the Sox NEED to cultivate a Wrigleyville South party atmosphere, but they're waaaaaaaay too far away for their own good. Plenty of suburban families with kids find a way to get to Wrigley during the season, even if they don't partake in the bar/party scene that surrounds the park. But just having that extra draw makes the place more appealing.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay