Thread: Rosemont Cubs?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I sincerely doubt there is that large of a market for people that it would make sense to move the team away from the center of the region's transportation network. Barring some crazy shift in the next 15 years, the region's population and wealth will still be centered deep in the city. This idea that the suburbs are this untapped market of endless prosperity is dead, 1970's era thinking (which is precisely what got us the Cell in the first place as opposed to the more popular retro ballparks). The Sox have already been burned once badly by thinking in the past. Moving to Addison would only cement their legacy.

Again, the attendance issues are because the team sucks. They've been to the playoffs 5 times in my life. They've only been mildly competitive in a bad division for most of the past decade. That's the issue. I'm sure there is a segment of suburbanites who absolutely refuse to come to the city. That's fine, but they are the extreme minority, no sense in marketing to them. I think most people who aren't putting their butts in the seats at the Cell don't want to pay out the nose to see ****ty baseball.
You're spot on in saying that the Sox primary issue is because the team hasn't made the playoffs often enough. This is the 18th season since MLB went to the 3-division/wild card format and the Sox have only made the playoffs 3 times during this period. 2005 was wonderful and Sox attendance skyrocketed because of it. But that boost isn't going to last forever without additional successful seasons. The problem is that, aside from that one glorious season, the Sox have only 1 playoff win in all the other years of the AL Central's existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Meh, I'm not going to get too worked up over the Sox falling just shy of some neat looking round number that's ultimately kind of meaningless. They would have finished 3rd in the AL in attendance if they got the additional 526 fans per game they needed to break 3 M or not.

We've had this discussion a number of times and it always comes to the same old thing; I think the problem with the Cell is it is already too suburban; it doesn't try to fit in with it's neighborhood, it's in the middle of a bunch of parking lots, there's basically nothing to do within walking distance. The team HAS to be the draw. The park has the personality of a shopping mall. It's not like Wrigley which has a whole separate world around it that would help draw people in. So regardless of where the Cell was built; Bridgeport, South Loop, West Side, Addison, etc. they'd be struggling to draw fans with the on-field track record they've had because if the Sox aren't very good, what is there to make diehards want to come visit?
I disagree with this statement. I think the complaint that the ballpark itself sucks and that its too much like a shopping mall hasn't been accurate since they successfully renovated the place starting 10 years ago. In 2006, after the World Series win, I don't remember people complaining about the ballpark.

You're right about the neighborhood though. I think Bridgeport is a nice place and the area has improved dramatically in the last 20 years, but there's not enough there to make Sox games a strong draw to counteract the year after year of 2nd or 3rd place finishes.