Thread: Rosemont Cubs?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I sincerely doubt there is that large of a market for people that it would make sense to move the team away from the center of the region's transportation network. Barring some crazy shift in the next 15 years, the region's population and wealth will still be centered deep in the city. This idea that the suburbs are this untapped market of endless prosperity is dead, 1970's era thinking (which is precisely what got us the Cell in the first place as opposed to the more popular retro ballparks). The Sox have already been burned once badly by thinking in the past. Moving to Addison would only cement their legacy.

Again, the attendance issues are because the team sucks. They've been to the playoffs 5 times in my life. They've only been mildly competitive in a bad division for most of the past decade. That's the issue. I'm sure there is a segment of suburbanites who absolutely refuse to come to the city. That's fine, but they are the extreme minority, no sense in marketing to them. I think most people who aren't putting their butts in the seats at the Cell don't want to pay out the nose to see ****ty baseball.
For the most part the team has sucked but even in 2006 on the heels of the greatest Sox season ever they could not even hit the 3,000,000 mark. That ballpark should have been sold out every night. The Flubs outdrew us by 200,000 in 06, ***. Even in its first year it failed to hit the 3 million mark. We will never know if Addison was the answer but 35th and Shields is not.