View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
It's pretty laughable to say you don't believe in some kind of conspiracy agenda and then lay out borderline ridiculous conspiracy.

Did you expect anything else from him? It's April 2, and he's in mid-season form. In all seriousness, I don't know that there's a way to fix this issue, as the weather in Chicago in April will always be unpredictable. I suppose MLB could try scheduling more games in warm weather cities to avoid the cold, but those organizations will lose games from their schedule that may be useful to have during the summer, when their own attendance is likely to increase.

If US Cellular Field were a dome, there wouldn't be an issue. As it is, the Sox play in a colder part of the country, and that's not likely to change unless someone punches (another) hole in the ozone layer near the ballpark.

Having said all of that, I don't believe that the weather is the sole reason for poor attendance. The Sox need to focus on keeping fans interested and drawing news fan to the ballpark. They can accomplish that by putting a winning team on the field more than a few times each decade, and by not alienating fans with threats and ultimatums (if you don't show up, we won't spend). People don't want to hear that, and they're even less likely to spend money in response to it.

The other day, I read an article talking about leadership, and one of the examples listed illustrating bad leadership was someone in a supervisory position threatening his employees and customers via email, which resulted in several of the employees quitting and the customers taking their business elsewhere. I would have laughed except that the situation reminded me of how Reinsdorf has dealt with fans, media, and others throughout his time as the Sox principal owner. If he wants more people at games, he needs to stop utilizing the same, tired rhetoric we've been hearing for years.