View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
And Viciedo still lags behind Heyward greatly in OPS. In the minors, Viciedo's career OPS was .780 and Heyward .900, and Heyward mostly was younger than Viciedo. There's really no comparison between the two of them. I don't remember anyone ever comparing Heyward to Willie Mays, nor calling him the flavor of the month, just one of the top prospects in baseball who is now a very good, young player. Last season at 23 Viciedo put up an OPS+ of 96, Heyward 116 at 22; career-wise, their OPS+ are 97 for Viciedo and 116 for Heyward (to say anything of WAR, where Heyward also dwarfs Viciedo). There's not much to compare between the two and all of the above is solely on the offensive side (besides WAR). Heyward is also the much better player defensively.
His nickname is the "J-Hey Kid" so Willy Mays comparisons may not be fair but they're inevitable. And when he came up, he was hyped to the bejesus by Bristol. I think he homered in his first AB or game and they were doing break-ins in programming to see his ABs. I do not recall this for certain, so I'm willing to be proven incorrect. But if true, that, to me, is OVER-hyped.

And I acknowledged in my first post about the OPS difference, but the rest of the batting line is pretty damn similar. So don't tell me there's no comparison. There is. And not only is there a comparison, it's remarkably close! Outside of OPS and fielding -- both of which I tipped my hat to in the original post.

Again, for those not picking it up. My point is NOT that Viciedo and Heyward are the same player but that this dude who was so hyped, has turned in one good, and no great seasons and that -- at a GLANCE -- have some traditional batting line comparisons to Viciedo.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I used to contribute money to this board and then I found the contributors too nasty to justify it, now I'm on the verge of abandoning it. I've been around since 2004 and the know-it-all-ness and smug baloney of this site sometimes reminds me of a North Side board. I think I'll say goodbye to all for a while.

Go Whitesox!