View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Bo's White Sox career was marked more by special moments than gaudy numbers. He had his hip reconstructed and made it all the way back to play pro baseball again when most doctors told him he was done, so just putting that White Sox uniform on was an accomplishment. During his rehab, his mother passed away and he promised that he would hit a HR for her when he made it back. Bo made good on his word and blasted a HR on Opening Day for his mom. Bo's best White Sox moment came in the 1993 AL West clincher game when he hit a towering rainbow home run at New Comiskey sending the crowd into a frenzy. I still remember the classic Sun Times headline the next day: "The Crowing Bo-ment". Hitting a HR to clinch a division title gives him pretty good ties to the organization, no?
His HR was great, but it wasn't that huge. The Sox won the division by 8 games. If he didn't hit the homer and lost that night, they probably would have clinched some other night.

I'm not going to boo or protest this assignment, and as I have stated, I like Bo. I just think Bo's status as a White Sox is overstated.

If he wasn't the media and athletic sensation he was before he came to the Sox and accomplished the exact same things as he accomplished in a White Sox uniform, there wouldn't have been as big of a deal made about every little thing he did in a White Sox uniform. You may even hear griping about his hitless playoffs with a bunch of strikeouts when he actually popped off the Sox were playing a bat short when he was out of the line up.

Maybe they can get another White Sox legend, Ken Griffey Jr., to throw out the first pitch in 2014.

Bo should be known as a Royal and a Raider and an Auburn Tiger. His legendary status with those teams is well deserved. His legendary status with the White Sox is just a by product of his earlier success.

Last edited by dickallen15; 03-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.