View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The one thing about Wrigley that I loved was that it was a great place to watch the Bears, hardly missed a game there from 1959 to 1962. You were right on top of the action as they put up those temp seats in right field and the field was really squeezed in running north to south. The end zones were only 8 yards instead of the normal 10.
Hope I didn't bore anyone to death but I do have some fond memories of the dump and thought I would pass them along.
Not boring at all. I mentioned the Clovis Indians in the thread about BP. I wouldn't doubt if that glazed a few eyeballs. I was wondering. Did you happen to go to the Bears/Steelers game on Dec. 6, 1959? Bears QB Ed Brown had a hot hand in the first half but the Steelers mounted a furious comeback in the second half and fell short 27-21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Not bored at all and btw I hope you had a nice one today. Now my turn to put some to sleep.

Mid to late 60's my mother worked near belmont and clark so my father would pick her up from work. Sometimes I would go with him. On occasion if traffic was good my dad would stop at Henrys across from cubs park to get a shake. Sometimes we used to just drive around the park, when games werent being played. On occasion there were houses on waveland or sheffield for sale and the old man used to always say "Who the hell would want to live across the street from this park". I asked how much those houses cost, he said maybe 20-25k but he wouldnt give them 10. A keen eye for real estate the old man had.
The Lincoln Park neighborhood got the gentrificiation ball rolling on the lakefront north side in the late 60's. I seem to recall a Lerner newspaper article around 1973 that quoted a real estate agent saying it was only the beginning of the trend. He complained that he hadn't been ready for the initial wave but he would now be primed to take advantage in the future. In 1966 there was another Lerner paper article that stated if you had a home anywhere east of Western Ave your property values were sure to drop. My how things have changed. Most folks were like your dad and just didn't see it coming. This was in an era when middle class families were rocketing to the suburbs, and that is what most people were seeing. Decline almost everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Nice read, but Koufax had only nine saves in his career, odds are none of them were at Wiggley.

Typical Cub fans, they just don't know the game of baseball.
I was thinking it was a hypothetical written by someone weak in baseball history.