View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well, he's been in more or less rough decline for a few seasons now, but I'm sure it's more in relation to the fact that in 2014 and 2015 he's owed an average of $18.5 M per season which is WAAAAAAAAAY more than Buehrle's probably ever been worth, even at his peak. That's a tough pill to swallow for a to-contact pitcher reentering the American League.

This isn't just "15 Worst Players in Baseball," it's "15 Worst Ratios of Player Value to Amount of Money Owed." Albert Pujols is still one of the best hitters in the game, but the fact that he's owed approximately $300 million until he's in his 40s... Woof.
I'll give you that he makes too much, but there just isn't a decline. None of his numbers show decline. He had one outlier somewhat poor season in 2010. Everything else says he is the same pitcher he has been since entering the league. He even got a significant bump, statistically from going to the NL, in both WHIP and K/BB ratio, so I don't see why his returning to the AL makes any difference. He is one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, and probably the most durable one I've ever seen. Dude has pitched 200+ innings in 12 consecutive seasons. Yeah, he's somewhat overpaid, but not enough to be included here.