View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
To be fair, there are a lot of unknowns on this team...and that's not a good thing. With just that in mind I'm thinking that it's fair to be pessimistic.
To be fair, the 2005 team had a lot of unknowns. (Please understand I am not predicting that every unknown will turn out well, and I am not predicting the 2013 White Sox will win the World Series.)

Nevertheless, the 2005 Sox had:

A starting catcher who had been released from his previous team, backed up by a career minor leaguer;

A first baseman who had a great 2004 after an abysmal 2003;

A second baseman who had never played a game in the USA;

A shortstop who struck out a lot swinging for the fences;

A third baseman with a long swing who had yet to hit consistently at the MLB level;

A LF who had no power;

A CF who had a nice 2004 but was still questionable;

An injury-prone RF;

A DH on the DL and another who was a headcase;

A starting rotation consisting of a #2 who was a Seattle flyball pitcher, a Cuban import who was inconsistent at best in NY, another Cuban import who seemed to be on the downside of his career, another who had yet to harness his talent and had done time in the bullpen in 2004, and an "ace" who had had a few great years for the Sox but whose K/9 rate was dropping;

A bullpen with a gimmick closer.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.