View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
So if the person in charge of player development and GM of a baseball team think a player is ready for the major leagues, that's not good enough for you? At the time of Beckham's promotion he was hitting AAA pitching hard and really didn't have anything left to prove.

My point is that every individual player reacts differently to a major league promotion, whether they had 100 at bats in the minors or 1000. To say a player was "rushed" because they aren't hitting in the majors is a knee-jerk statement in my opinion.

It may just be that Beckham isn't a good hitter and no amount of minor league seasoning or major league coaching can change that.
Yes. And I think that's at the heart of what's been wrong about our system. Beckham has obvious issues with his swing that teams were of course going to exploit when they figured it out. My largest concern is that no one in our system - no scout, manager, general manager, director - recognized this and thought to deconstruct his swing. Or worse, they recognized the need for an acquisition and traded away the kids future for a quick fix and then expected him to "adjust" at the major league level with an approach that is exploitable at best. Anyway you cut it though, he was absolutely rushed to the big leagues.