View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Beckham did find his power stroke last year at least. 16HRs from the 2B spot is definitely "bonus power". According to Yahoo Sports, the league average for HRs out of the 2B spot is only 6. There aren't many Robinson Canos out there who can hit 30+ from that spot on the diamond. The big problem is that he is about 25 points below the league batting average from that position.

I'm also glad that he went back to his crouched stance though. Albeit, a modified version of the one he used in Georgia and in 2009. The stance he used in 2011 where he was vertical with his hands in front of his face drove me nuts. I think we would all like to see him go back to hitting the ball with authority to right center field like he did in his rookie year though. We only get flashes of that Beckham in recent years. Still, even if Gordon doesn't improve and just duplicates his 2012 season next year, getting 16HRs and 60RBIs from the 9 spot in the order isn't horrific production. The + defense he provides also helps his cause.
I don't disagree that Beckham can't be a useful piece. The problem is he's always going to be below league average offensively (because of his BA and OBP). His defense and power make him useful for a lot of teams, but not a team with other holes in the lineup.