View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
There have been a ton of pitchers in baseball with the million dollar arm and the 10 cent brain. I've been saying that for years. Outside of injury, you seriously have to wonder why a guy picked in the top 10 in the draft flails around for so many years. Scouts know who has plus stuff and who has likely has no future based on the pitches they possess.

Garland was a good example of that, as was Kip Wells. I always thought Baldwin underperformed though I never say him as a Cy Young candidate.

Currently, I think Floyd (wasn't he another top 10 pick?) has never developed into the pitcher he can be. He's shows stretches of domination and stretches of bad.

I feel bad for Phil. The only thing stopping him from being a dominant pitcher is all upstairs for him. You can see it in his eyes late in the season. The confidence was gone.

Bob
Houston is a good spot for him, with little pressure to win the next few years, and maybe he can get his head on straight by the time they start making some noise.

Kind of odd that 3/5ths of the Astros rotation next year could be former Sox pitchers/prospects Harrell, Humber and Ely, and they got all three for just one mid-level prospect.