View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
If they're too cheap to sign a free agent like Sanchez then why trade for Shields, who'll be paid $21 million over the next two seasons? They'll also be paying a mediocre starter in Jeremy Guthrie $20 million over the next two years, Jeff Francoeur (one of MLB's worst players in 2012) $7 million in 2013, and Ervin Santana (5.16 ERA in 2012) $13 million in 2013.

Yes, David Glass has not been a good owner and is seen by many as cheap. But Dayton Moore has also misspent quite a bit of money there recently which has hurt the team. As others have said, this is the act of a desperate GM who does not have the luxury of planning for the long term.
Do you pay attention to what the market is for starting pitching? Did you see Ryan Dempster rejected a 2 year, $25 million offer? Ryan "35 y.o., 5.09 ERA in Texas" Dempster.

I'd say those (pitchers) will all be bargains compared to the commitment it takes to get Sanchez. Especially to pitch in KC, who would likely have to overpay. I'll take two SPs in Guthrie and Shields for what you'll have to pay Sanchez.

And they need a "win now" attitude because the "wait for the future" BS has been going on since 1994.

KC used to be a baseball town. This is the most excited I've heard people around here since 2003.

I want them to win baseball games this season, not best farm system.