View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
My point being above that regardless of the 16 homers and 62 RBI, Beckham posted an awful .234/.296

In the majors, of qualifying second basemen, there are 10 guys that hit over .260; 16 guys (one more than average) who hit over .250 and Beckham was second to last of all 2B qualifiers in OBP. If you want to really put the spotlight on run production, there were 10 qualifiers who hit the same number of or more homers and 15 qualifiers who had more RBIs.

Run production is a bonus from the 2B position, but he should at least be able to hit close to the average BA and OBP for his position.
At some point the above average glove won't make up for such mediocre numbers.

Maybe Keppinger on the team will get him to put up better at-bats.
But the thing is .234/.296 is actuall pretty close to the league average for a 2B. It's below average, yes, but it's not like this is a forceful offensive position. And whatever bit he leaves in terms of OBP and BA he more than makes up for with his run production, which is the name of the game, after all.

In a perfect world, maybe the Sox would look to upgrade their offense from 2B but that's not the most pressing need for this team. Considering the Tigers won the division and the league pennant despite getting absolutely miserable production from their 2B all year long, I'd say this is one of those items you can place on the Sox's dream list.

Oh, and Gordon's BAbip last year was .254, over 30 points lower than his career average entering the 2012 season, so it's not unrealistic to think he could bounce back to at least standard league averages in terms of BA and OBP next season. There's probably upgrades out there but the Sox can surely win with Gordon at 2B, too. I'm not too worried about it.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know