View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
True. Also true is over time, (starting in 2013?) Sale's velocity will decline.
Rather than the 97mph 15 KO blazer, he'll be routinely working in the 90-93 range. Now, this is pretty standard. A good comparison would be Tim Lincecum, a lanky guy with funky delivery. I bet at this point SF is grateful they didn't commit to 8 years with their Cy Young honoree. I expect a similar trajectory for Sale. UNLESS he starts to develop command of his off-speedo junk a la Freddie Garcia. Chris Sale will not be a lights out performer for an extended time, but I think he has the talent to transform into a finesser as time goes with the wind. My 2 cents.
Wow, you are comparing pitchers who have absolutely nothing in common.

Sale does not get his Velocity from his "funky" delivery. He is 6'6. Lincecum is 5'11, which is why he gets his velo from the delivery. Sale also has GREAT offspeed stuff. Freddy Garcia has nothing to do with Chris Sale either.

Sale is a tall, long lefty. You are correct that he will he choose to work consistently in the mid to low 90s, but that is what all pitchers do who throw hard. Dial it up as needed. Sale had a couple games last year with a fatigued arm he was sitting about 88-91, which is common for young SP who have not been stretched out to 200 IP before.

Sale is a once a decade talent, the Sox need to not screw around and just lock him up.