Thread: World Series
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
There is very little luck over the course of a 162-game season. The individual variances over the course of a game get ironed out over a 6-month marathon so the cream generally rises to the top.
Yes, and that cream gets to sort itself out in the playoffs.

Quote:
But yeah, in a 7-game series, luck is a huge factor, if for nothing else the way you're able to line your pitchers up. But in the game play, what's the difference between a HR and a weak pop out to RF? We're talking millimeters on the bat or milliseconds, distances and times essentially imperceivable to the human eye. In terms of the actual gameplay, yes, there is a lot of luck in baseball.
Well, for one thing, these hitters are trained to hit so that they don't pop it up. They're not just swinging at the ball like T-ballers. There's a lot of nuance involved. More often than not, it's their own fault that they popped it up rather than gotten a hit.

Yes, there are factors such as wind, field condition, a fan in the stands reaching his hands out, etc. But as I said, it usually balances out and affects both teams. I haven't seen a series where there were so many "lucky" occurrences happening to the same team that it nullifies their series victory. That definitely did not happen this year.

As for the pitching match-ups... yeah, there are instances where a team can't set up their rotation the way they want because they had a tougher previous series, or a tougher division to qualify from. And their opponent had ample time to set up their rotation. But the thing is, the same people who will complain about "bad luck" would say the same thing if their team was the one with ample time, except this time the excuse will be "we had too long of a lay-off!"

So which excuse is acceptable? I say neither. Sometimes teams still win despite tougher qualifying, tougher previous series, injuries, etc. The excuses are unacceptable, unless there's an extremely serious circumstance, in which case I'm sure MLB would step in and delay the series so that there wouldn't be so much of a disadvantage.
Quote:
You can rally your bull**** "rah rah" winners make their own luck! buzzword garbage all you like, I suspect at this point you're just goofing around because there is absolutely no way anyone could have watched the American League in 2012 and at any point of the year declared the inept, underperforming Tigers the legitimate team to represent the league in the championship series. They were awful for most of the season, barely finished in the top half of the league, and really, only did so because they play in such a god damn awful division that somebody had to be the least bad in.

So no, the idea that the World Series in which the AL was represented by a horrendously mediocre Detroit team that barely had any business being in the postseason at all paints a picture representative for the league as a whole is a completely asinine opinion. I'd be willing to give the Series more credibility if it truly was a champion vs. champion affair, but the watered down playoffs have made that all but impossible. I honestly can't think of the last time the World Series was really a matchup of the league's two best teams. 1998?
Sometimes there are 2010 Seattle Seahawks situations. But divisions are necessary, travelling isn't free or quick. The Tigers deserved to be there, they were the best of the Central. Then they proved they were best in the league.

You may say the poor Yankees were so worn out from having to qualify out of the East. Those poor babies. Ditto for the A's and West. I say bollox. Suck it up and fight on, you'll have 3.5 months to rest after that.

So yes, the Kitties were representative of us. Not as much as pre-1969 pennant winners, but representative nonetheless.

If you think that 1998 was the last time the 2 leagues' best faced off, then you might as well stop watching. Nobody's thinking of the reg season anymore in October. Put it out of your head, not just so that you'll enjoy the playoffs again, but because in October, the reg season truly now is ancient history. If I had a dime for every time a player/coach/broadcaster said that... But they say it because it is true.

M. Jeff & Co. said it much better than any poster here could, back in 1996. They even made hats and shirts to pronounce pro sports' Prime Directive.

The Tigers' crappy reg season didn't mean a thing, because they got that pennant ring.

Last edited by cub killer; 11-26-2012 at 08:15 PM.