Thread: World Series
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Just because that's the purpose of the playoffs doesn't mean that it succeeds at it. "Best" is a subjective term. There will never be a way to determine who is best. All I'm saying is that the postseason is no be-all, end-all litmus test. It determines who the champion is. It can't determine who's best. I would rather rely on the regular season to say who the best is, rather than accept that for some reason, playoff baseball is different from regular season baseball, and that whatever happens in the postseason carries more weight because of "pressure".

Also, dial back the attitude some. There's no reason to let a debate devolve into "You disagree with me, you must be stupid".
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

The thing is, as someone who lives and breathes sports, and has since the 1980s... it's impossible for me to not consider the postseason to be the be-all, end-all litmus test. That theme is central to pro sports fandom. It is reinforced all the time by the media, players and coaches every single year.

Day in, day out, the goal is to get to the playoffs, not to gain the best reg season record. When the playoffs arrive, there is an atmosphere that is diametrically different than reg season. Hell, some Sox WS tickets were selling for thousands. It is incomparable. The pressure is palpable, and exists for the reasons that I keep mentioning.

I don't know how old you are, but if you watch sports as much as I do, you will eventually agree one day. The playoffs=endallbeall theme is inescapable. It's central to pro sports, kind of like a Prime Directive.