View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Did he? Because baseball-reference said his WAR is higher? Does anybody here know how to calculate WAR? I'm just asking, for all I know some of you do. Trout is a sensational young talent, and I probably appreciate defense more than most baseball fans, but like you said it's hard to kick about Cabrera winning the award this year.
I don't think WAR is perfect but in this case I feel it gives a good idea on who really had the better year. Trout had a 10.7 WAR while missing 3 weeks of the season which is historical and Cabrera had a 6.9 WAR which is good but can also be considered even below MVP standards in a saber type of view.

I don't have a problem with a triple crown winner winning the MVP but for Trout to only get 6 first place votes is a pretty old fashioned way of thinking by the writers. Most MLB teams if not all are using saber stats to evaluate players so it's probably time for the writers to start doing the same.

I don't buy into this logic of Cabrera won because he lead his team into the playoffs either. In the final 30 games of the season the Angels went 19-11 while the Tigers went 18-13. The main reason why the Tigers advanced is because the Whitesox stumbled and the Athletics won 8 of their last 9 games. Mike Trout energized a slumping team into a playoff contender and had he been called up earlier I think the Angels make the playoffs.