View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Adorable
Be amused, but I actually watch baseball, and I know what I'm talking about.

Stats measure what you have done in the past, and don't tell you much when they are taken in isolation. A .313 season is clearly better than a .299 season if the on-base percentages are similar, and overall, batting average is the more important stat for a hitter whose role is to drive in runs. Strong lineups are built so that pitchers have to pitch to the best RBI hitters. Good hitters who walk because they are selective at the plate will have higher batting averages as a result. OPS makes no distinction between a two-out, two-run single and an intentional walk. OPS penalizes hitters for sacrifice flies. You want your 3 and 4 hitters to drive in runs. You want them to hit. You want them to hit for high averages, especially with runners in scoring position. Their on-base percentages are only important in that they are founded in hitting, not being pitched around.

Fielder was clearly a better hitter in 2012 than he was in the last several seasons with the Brewers, and Cabrera, a hitter who hits .420, slugs .720 with two outs and runners in scoring position, has had a season he may not be able to repeat, even if he has a higher OPS.

Even if you don't believe in the concept of clutch hitting, that the averages with runners in scoring position and with two outs and runners in scoring position will resgress to the mean, you aren't expecting Cabrera to hit so exceedingly well in the clutch next year. Cabrera was clutch hitting out of his mind last year.