View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Those 3 guys combined for less HR and hardly a better average than Dunn in 2012, as crappy as he was for a good portion of it. You knew what you were getting with him. Enough with this bull**** hyperbole. It's hard to believe that after 2010, the Thome fiasco, and all the bitching and moaning about how Ozzieball and rotating DHs don't work in the American League, this fanbase is complaining about a guy who's done nothing but put up 40 HR and 100 RBI for his entire career, 2011 excepted. He is what he is. No use bitching about it.
Dunn has a career line of .240/.370/.499; if the Sox knew they would be getting much less than that, than they would not have given him $60 million over 4 seasons. Johnson has a career slash line of .237/.338/.412; Scott .260/.341/.487; and Reynolds .235/.332/.475. With a career .870 OPS, it is not hyperbole to say that Dunn has seriously underperformed his contract in his time with the White Sox. In two full seasons, he has had just two months with an OPS of at least .800; in those 10 other months, his slash lines look quite similar to that of the few players mentioned.

That said, I wouldn't want the White Sox to trade him this offseason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Dan Johnson and Luke Scott? Seriously? Neither could, and those are numbers Dunn put up in his "awful" months. You seem to be set on not wanting him back, and I can see why you and a lot of others wouldn't want him back. But, you are grossly undervaluing him. He just turned 33, he has at least a few more 40 HR 100 RBI seasons left, especially in the AL. Now that I think about it, Houston would make some sense because he is from Texas and they could use some power entering the AL.
Then, you're misunderstanding me. You advocated trading me by sending out $5-7 million per year on his contract. I think that his poor performance thus far with the White Sox means that, even with sending out that kind of money, the return on a trade would be so low as to be pointless. Dunn could still bounce back to his career numbers, or be mediocre and still put up 40 HRs as he did this past season. I don't think they could anything more than a AAAA player or organization depth in return, and those players are worth a heck of a lot less than the $10-12 million it would cost to send out Dunn in a trade.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.