View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan
This is right. When Youkilis first came to the Sox, off a bit of rest, He said at the time that he had not felt that good in a long time. And he played great that first month. As the season wore on, though, he wore down. By September he was ineffective at the plate and at bat.

I can't see any reason to bring him back for another year when he is a year older. He's not going to be any better than he was in August or September of this year. It's time to move on a try to fill that position with someone else.
The only way Youk would work out here is if there is a legitimate backup 3B added so that he can get a few outright days off and a few days at DH. The lack of a decent bench is one of the things that caused the September from hell, and Youk was one of the most noticeable guys to go AWOL. I'm willing to chalk it up to a lack of off days and give him a full season here to show what he can do, but his workload needs to be lightened a little bit.

I think that 115-120 games from Youk at 3B, 20 games split between 1B and DH, and 20-25 games off represents the best course of action for filling this position. Every other feasible 3B option that I can think of would definitely be worse. Factoring in OBP sinkholes in Beckham, Alexei, and Viciedo, I think that going back to Morel in 2013 would torpedo any postseason aspirations.